HISTORY
– Mehmet Efendi
– Becoming A Brand Name
– Third and Fourth    Generation
AN INTERNATIONAL COMPANY
LOCAL AND
INTERNATIONAL ACTIVITIES
After Mehmet Efendi’s death in 1931, the family business passed to his three sons: Hasan Selahattin Bey, Hulusi Bey and Ahmet Rıza Bey.

The family formally took “Kurukahveci” as their last name in 1934. After Mehmet Efendi passed away, his eldest son Hasan Selahattin (1897-1944) recognized the importance of the international market and resolved to become active abroad. Thus, Turkish Coffee began to be promoted abroad as well as in the domestic market.

In line with the technological developments of the time, Hulusi Bey (1904-1934) introduced mass production and commissioned Zühtü Başar – one of the leading architects of the period – to design an Art Deco headquarters for the company on the site of the original family shop on Tahmis Sokak. This striking structure remains the company’s headquarters to this day. In addition, the company began to package its roasted-ground coffee in parchment paper and to distribute these packages to groceries and corner stores all over the city via automobile. Thus, Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi was responsible for another groundbreaking innovation in Turkey. The company also opened a branch on the famous thoroughfare of Istiklal Caddesi.
Türkçe